Letters

The flame still flickers

The Maclean cenotaph, built in 1930 from polished granite, is mounted on five steps with the names of those who fell in conflict carved into the memorial in gold.
An electric light shaped to represent a fire flame was fitted, it was called the ‘Flame of Remembrance’. The memorial is surrounded by a concrete post and pipe fence. Over the years the light has been subject to wear and tear from the natural elements until finally it disintegrated to nothing.
The Clarence Valley Council investigated the issue with the prognosis being, that the age of the electrical cabling plus the deterioration of the monument itself, nothing could be done.
That was until the forthcoming centenary of the 11 (day) of the 11 (month) appeared on the horizon. In consultation with the Clarence Valley Council, the Clarence River Men’s Shed, and the Maclean RSL Sub-branch, it was considered the most appropriate course of action was to renovate the memorial by fashioning a piece of hardwood and painting it to represent a living flame.
This was done and duly installed on the top of the monument. We would like to thank the Men’s Shed for their involvement in restoring the “flame” and Clarence Valley Council for their assistance with this project.
Peter Leslie, Vice President
Maclean RSL Sub-branch

X