St Andrews Presbyterian Church Grafton 130 Years
On the 28 April 1885 a congregational meeting was held to discuss plans for a construction of the ‘New Church’.
A meeting on the 5 May 1885 saw the following committee appointed to obtain plans and specifications to bring this church together. The committee comprised of Messrs McIntosh, Fraser, Munro and Hewitt.
Many thought a church which could seat 400 people and a gallery to seat a further 120 was very ambitious idea. However the spire of St Andrews has been a landmark in Grafton now for 130 years.
The first Presbyterian minister to the settlement in 1850, and the whole rest of the North Coast for that matter, was Rev John Gibson who came from Jamaica. He held the first service in the small Court House which stood where the Dairy Company used to be in Victoria Street.
Later on services were held in the wooden building where the building known as the Commercial Banking Co. now stands.