At a Local Sporting Champions morning tea held in Grafton on Tuesday of last week, Federal Member for Page, Kevin Hogan presented four local teenagers with a $500 cheque to help them on their way.
“I’m very pleased to help these teenagers follow their dreams,” Mr Hogan said. “Those who are receiving awards have excelled themselves representing the Clarence Valley on the international, national and state stage.”
“The Clarence Valley has produced some outstanding sportspeople in the past, and it is important that we support the next crop of our local sporting talent,” Mr Hogan said.
“I encourage any budding champions out there who have the opportunity of competing at a state, national or international event to apply for a grant by contacting my office or checking out the website ausport.gov.au,” Mr Hogan said.
In no order, our latest crop of Clarence Valley Sporting Champions are:
• Brendan Brown – Yamba – National BMX Championships
• Kyle McIveen – Waterview Heights – Aust Youth Athletics Championships
• Matthew Parkin – Nymboida – NSW All Schools Pacific Swimming Titles
• Katie Porra – Waterview Heights – NSW CHS Cross Country Championships
• Clancy O’Neill – Yamba – Australian Longboard Surfing Titles
For more information about the program, go to www.ausport.gov.au/participating/schools_and_juniors/local_sporting_champions