Lynne Mowbray |
An estimated 500 – 700 people attended last week’s Showmen’s Carnival at the Maclean Showground, which was held to help raise money for the Maclean Show Society.
The event which was held on Tuesday evening was put on by the Showmen’s Guild, after the Maclean Show was cancelled this year due to considerable damage to showground infrastructure, caused by a wild storm in January.
Maclean Show Society president Brian Ferrie said that he was happy with the event.
“Tuesday night was far better than I could have expected,” Mr Ferrie said.
“The night went smoothly with no problems.
“The side show alley venders were all happy with the night and the fireworks display was on a par with other years.
“The advertising was remarkable and worked very well for us.
“We’re looking forward to the show being back on next year bigger and better than ever,” he said.
Mr Ferrie said that the Show Society are putting out an urgent call for more showgirl entrants – both junior and senior.
“The showgirls will be announced a gala dinner which will be held at the Maclean Services Club on Saturday June 2,” Mr Ferrie said.
“So anyone interested in entering will only have a couple of weeks to put their name down.
“The gala dinner will be open to the public, however bookings are essential.
“We are also looking for new members and for old members to renew their membership.
“This year the membership cost has been reduced to $20 and anyone attending the gala dinner will get a $20 discount,” he said.
For more information regarding the showgirl competition or to make bookings for the gala dinner contact: Endessa Schrader on 0428 476 306, Tina Ross 0427 453 686 or Tammy Sutherland at O’Halloran Motors.