The trip your tastebuds weren’t expecting
These kebabs explore Asian flavours that are a refreshing alternative to your usual combinations.
Makes approx. 18 skewers
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 20 minutes
600g lamb steak, cut into 2cm cubes
1 tbsp red chili flakes
1 tbsp cumin seed
2 tsp fennel seed
1 tsp salt
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp oil
2 tsp Shaoxing wine (Chinese cooking wine)
Bamboo skewers, soaked in water at least 2 hours and up to overnight
1. In a mortar and pestle or spice grinder, coarsely grind chilli flakes, cumin and
fennel. Add garlic powder and salt and thoroughly combine ingredients.
2. Reserve 1 tbsp of the spice mix in a small bowl. Add lamb to a large bowl and
toss thoroughly with the remaining spice mix, oil and Shaoxing wine.
3. Heat BBQ or grill pan to medium-high. Grill skewers, covered, until lamb is
nearly cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.
4. Increase heat to high and if using a BBQ grill move skewers over direct heat,
sprinkle with the reserved spice mix and cook until well seared on both sides,
about 1 minute total.
5. Remove skewers from the grill and serve right away.
• Serve the skewers sprinkled with spring onion alongside sticky rice and kewpie
mayo for delicious flavour combinations.