NSW Police will be out in force across NSW over the coming weeks as part of Operation Saturation.
Clarence MP and Parliamentary Secretary for the North Coast, Chris Gulaptis, is urging the community to play its part to prevent more fatalities on NSW roads.
“With 229 people killed on our roads so far this year, which is 25 more than the same time last year, the NSW Government and the NSW Police Force are pleading with road users to be more cautious,” Mr Gulaptis said in a media release.
“Too many lives have been lost and families devastated because of dangerous behaviour such as speeding, drinking driving, not wearing seatbelts and talking/texting on mobile phones.
“We are seeing both drivers and pedestrians being killed across NSW in accidents that could easily be avoided.
“Operation Saturation is designed to make road users sit up and take note of their behaviour and be more cautious on the road.”
Mr Gulaptis said an average of 15 lives have been lost every fortnight on our roads since the end of April.
“I am pleading with my local community to slow down, obey the road rules and look out for others,” he said.
Operation Saturation – which is fully funded by the Community Road Safety Fund, redirects speed camera fines back into the community to make NSW roads safer – continues until September 28.