- Serves 6
- Preparation time 15 minutes
- Cooking time 1-2 hours
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 400 g lean beef or lamb, cubed
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- With any left-over soup, reduce the stock/liquid and it becomes a tasty filling in wraps or sandwiches
- 3/4 cup dried chickpeas
- 2 litres salt reduced chicken stock or water
- 3/4 cup dried red lentils
- 1/4 cup long grain rice
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded, finely diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 x 400 g cans salt reduced crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 bunch coriander, chopped
- Black pepper, to taste
- Heat oil and add meat. Cook until lightly browned. Add onion and cook until softened.
- Add the chick peas and stock or water and boil, then simmer for 1 – 1 1/2 hours, until the chickpeas are tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the coriander. Simmer, stirring often, for 30 minutes or until all ingredients are soft.
- To serve, stir in chopped coriander and season to taste.
Nutrition information per serve
Energy: 1490kJ Calories 355 cal Protein: 25.8g Total fat: 12.8g Saturated fat: 2.8g Carbohydrate: 30.1g Fibre: 9.3g Sodium: 330mg