From the Newsroom

Officers from the Coffs/Clarence Police District and NSW Ambulance paramedics attend a property in Smith Street, Grafton, where a 25-year-old man was shot after allegedly confronting police officers while armed with a machete. Image: Contributed

Man shot in Grafton

Emma Pritchard


A critical incident investigation is continuing following a shooting in the Clarence Valley last week.

Around midday on May 31, officers from the Coffs/Clarence Police District attended a property in Smith Street, Grafton, after responding to reports of an aggravated break and enter.

Smith Street, Grafton, was blocked off following a shooting on May 31. Image: Emma Pritchard

Upon arrival, they located a 25-year-old man inside the premises who barricaded himself in a room.

Police officers negotiated with the man for close to two hours before he allegedly confronted them while armed with a machete.

A police officer discharged their firearm during the confrontation.

The 25-year-old man sustained two wounds, one to his stomach and another to one of his arms.

NSW Ambulance paramedics attended the scene and rendered first aid before transporting the man to Grafton Base Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

He was later transported to the Gold Coast University Hospital in a stable condition by the Westpac Life Saver Rescue Helicopter where he underwent surgery.

A crime scene was established at the Smith Street property and a critical incident team from the Northern Region Police District commenced investigations into the circumstances surrounding the event.

A crime scene was established at a Smith Street property last week as police launched an investigation following a shooting. Image: Emma Pritchard

Neighbours reported seeing police officers attend the same address on May 30 between 11:30pm and 12am, with one neighbour alleging they heard and saw a man yelling and banging on the front door of the property.

Two residents who have lived in the area for more than 30 years told the Clarence Valley Independent they heard gunshots shortly after 2pm on May 31, and witnessed a man being escorted from the property under police guard.

They said Smith Street is usually a quiet area and described themselves as shocked by the incident.

Assistant Commissioner Peter McKenna, Commander of the Northern Region, addressed the media following the incident and said police initially attended the Smith Street property in response to allegations of domestic violence.

An update on the condition of the 25-year-old man was unavailable at the time of publication.

The investigation surrounding the incident will be subject to an independent review.