PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes
• 4 200g lamb rump steaks
• 3/4 cup raw red lentils
• 1 small red capsicum
• 1 small yellow capsicum
• 3 tomatoes
• 1 Lebanese cucumber
• 1/4 bunch parsley, chopped
• 1/4 bunch mint, chopped
• 1/2 tsp cumin
• 1 red onion
• zest and juice of 1 lemon
• 2 tbsp olive oil
1. Pre-heat a frypan and brush the steaks with olive oil. Cook on one side until moisture appears, then turn and cook the other side. Test the ‘degree of doneness’ by touching the meat – it will feel springy for medium and very firm for well done. Remove from heat and allow to rest, loosely covered with aluminium foil.
2. For the salad, cook lentils in boiling water for 3-4 minutes to retain texture and colour. Drain and place in cold water.
3. Dice all vegetables and place in a bowl. Add lentils and chopped parsley and mint.
4. Season with cumin, pepper, lemon zest and juice. Stir to combine.
5. Optional: serve this dish with grilled lime.
• Always rest meat after it comes off the heat. This allows the juices, which have been driven to the centre of the meat by the heat to return to the surface. If given the time to rest the meat will be juicier and tastier when you eat it.