The key to success is being organised. The following tips may help to avoid meltdowns about incomplete home work.
- Ask your child about their homework and know what they are learning about and when assignments are due.
- Use a planner to record when assessments and exams are scheduled so you can help your child prepare in advance.
- Get into a routine of doing homework at a set time, ideally a little each day.
- Turn mobile phones to ‘aeroplane mode’ so there are no distractions.
- If there is no set homework, encourage your child to do some reading.
- Don’t jump in and give answers, homework is about helping children to become independent learners.
- Encourage your child to start assignments as soon as they receive them.
- If your child is having difficulty with their homework, contact their class teacher for help.