State News

Be aware of shocks and tingles

Essential Energy is reminding customers that receiving a shock or tingle in or around their home could be a warning sign for a more dangerous underlying problem with electrical wiring at the property.

Operational Manager Coastal, Chris Maccoll said “Experiencing a shock or tingle isn’t normal – especially from household objects like a shower head or tap. If it does occur, we are asking people to not touch or enter the affected area and to call Essential Energy immediately on 13 20 80 to report it.”

“In the worst-case scenario, if someone does experience a severe electrical shock, call 000 immediately and try to keep people clear of the area where the shock occurred. We’re asking people to also get in touch with us as soon as possible on 13 20 80 to report the shock. Even if the shock is minor, we still recommend seeking medical attention, as complications can arise even several hours after a shock has occurred.  Do not touch the area again until the situation has been made safe.

“At Essential Energy, safety is our number one priority. Our data shows that shocks and tingles reporting increases during January and February, so it is imperative that everyone is aware of what to do if they do experience a shock or tingle at their home or business,” Chris said.

Once a report is received, Essential Energy investigates and if the fault is found on the electricity network, repairs to the network will be carried out at no cost to the property owner. If the problem is due to a wiring issue inside the property, Essential Energy will likely recommend the property owner engage an electrician to fix the issue. 

To ensure safety to the property owner and those involved in the repair, the electricity to the property will be disconnected. Once the repair has been undertaken and it is safe to do so, the power to the property will be reconnected.

For more information on what to do if you receive a shock or tingle, please visit https://www.essentialenergy.com.au/shocks-and-tingles.

 

0 Shares
X