Latest News

100 year milestone for Maclean manse

The heritage listed former Free Presbyterian church manse in Wharf Street, Maclean, now serves the community as an Op Shop. Image: Lynne Mowbray

The Free Presbyterian church manse (clergy house) in Wharf Street, Maclean, has seen its 100 year milestone.
The original manse, which was built in the 1860’s, was demolished in 1916. Bricks from the demolished building were used in the construction of fences around the ground.
A new manse was constructed in 1916, from plans prepared by the builder Mr F J Robertson, for the contract price of 752 pounds and six pence.
The wooden building at the time was described as having eight ‘large and lofty’ rooms, not including the bathroom and pantry.
The “Clarence River Advocate July 29, 1919” described the building as follows; ‘The [Free Presbyterian] Manse is certainly one of the finest residences in the municipality and a home ideal for any minister to occupy.’
On October 30, 1916, it was described in the Grafton Argus that, ‘the fine roomy manse, in connection with the Free Presbyterian Church, is nearing completion and when finished, will be an ornament to Wharf Street.’
The beautiful heritage listed building still stands today and now serves the community in another capacity.
For the last nine years the building has operated as an Op Shop with all money raised, going to support the work of Christian education in the high schools of the Lower Clarence.

X